Matthew A. Crist’s practice focuses on representing plaintiffs in personal injury cases involving automobile and trucking accidents and premises liability. He also represents consumers in class action and products liability cases, medical malpractice cases, insurance disputes, and in commercial litigation matters. He regularly represents clients in both state and federal court. Matt has experience counseling clients in cases that have attracted national and local media attention, and he has appeared on NBC’s Today Show.
Before joining the firm, Matt was a law clerk to the Honorable Marcia Morales Howard, District Judge for the United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, Jacksonville Division. For several years, he also practiced at a large international law firm, representing some of the largest companies in the world.
After growing up in Jacksonville, Florida and receiving his undergraduate degree from the University of Florida, Matt taught American History at Allen D. Nease High School in St. Augustine, Florida. He then returned to Gainesville to attend the Levin College of Law at the University of Florida where he competed for the nationally-recognized Justice Campbell Thornal Moot Court Team and graduated with honors.
Appointments and Distinctions
- Martindale-Hubbell™ AV Preeminent Rated Lawyer, the highest rating given.
- Named a FLORIDA SUPER LAWYER; the final published list represents no more than 5% of the lawyers in the state. Learn more about this distinction.
- Named by Florida Trend as a LEGAL ELITE; approximately 2% of the lawyers in the state are chosen. Learn more about this distinction.
Publications and Lectures
- “Stipulated Protective Orders Governing Confidential Records: Dealing with Them, Maybe Even Avoiding Them,” April/May 2014, Journal, Florida Justice Association.
- “Presenting Medical Evidence at Trial: Direct Examination of Medical Experts,” March 28, 2013, Hillsborough County Bar Association Family Law Section.
- “Rule 1.280(b)(5)(A) Does Not Apply to Treating Physicians,” November 2012, Lawyer Magazine, Hillsborough County Bar Association.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Courts, Middle District of Florida
- State Courts of Florida
- The Florida Bar
- American Association for Justice
- Florida Justice Association, Board Member, Young Lawyers Division
- Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Member Trial Lawyers Section
- Hillsborough County Education Foundation
- Children’s Cancer Center